Swallow Sidecar Company
The Swallow Sidecar Company was founded by William Walmsley in Blackpool, England to make motor cycle sidecars. In 1921 he was joined by the 20 year old William Lyons who had served his apprenticeship with Crossley Motors in Manchester.
In 1926 they moved into the car coachwork business when they rebodied a Talbot. This was well received and encouraged them to move on to other cars especially the Austin 7 but also Fiats, Standards and Swifts.
The increase in business made it increasingly necessary to be nearer the centre of the British car industry so in 1928 they moved to Holbrook Lane, Coventry. At the same time William Walmsley who was older than William Lyons decided to retire. Business continued to grow and in 1929 the company was sufficiently confident to go to the expense of taking a stand at the London Motor Show.
More bodies for different chassis were produced in 1930 but for the 1931 show they had the SS1 now on an exclusive chassis specially made by Standard. This was the car that led to the company being reformed as SS Cars Ltd in 1934, eventually becoming Jaguar Cars Ltd in 1945.